Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Winter's back

When I said one day closer to something, I wasn't thinking of winter. Maybe this will be its last gasp.

One interesting thing I noticed is that a male Allen's Hummingbird only shows up in extremely cold weather. Weather that keeps the feeders frozen. Except I keep exchanging the one outside for a warm one. That makes me think he has a preferred location where the feeder(s) is maintained by humans but they go to work and aren't able to keep it thawed out. So I dusted off my Canon and documented him from my warm indoors.



I speculate why he only comes when the weather is so cold. Only a few possibilities. Maybe he's not comfortable here because he got banded here years ago (most unlikely), or maybe he's just more comfortable at the other place where he doesn't have to share a feeder. (The female has never interacted with him or run him off.)  The only other option is that he subsists on insects otherwise, but I don't see that as a real option. The female Rufous that's here comes to the feeder regularly. Their diets would be similar I would think.

By the way, my daughter's boutique is now on the voters list if you haven't voted for it yet. Just go to this link and under UP AND COMING click on Purple Lace Boutique. Thanks. It will mean a lot to her.

https://form.jotform.com/73304278584967




No comments:

Post a Comment